Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

At 11:24 AM 7/17/2005, you wrote:

"I think that the whole concept of Q and bandwidth is somewhat troubling
when applied to time varying systems. Certainly, the analysis it such
systems is more complex than we can deal with in a few short paragraphs
on
this list."

        Correct.  However, the concepts of stored and dissipated energy and
their ratios are simple enough for all to understand.

Ed
Sure, but Q is energy lost vs energy stored in one cycle. In a time varying system what's the period of one cycle? Q is a nice shorthand to compare various resonant systems, but except for trivial systems it doesn't work all that well. Probably a better way to look at it is in terms of phase noise.