Re: Forum

Original poster: Kidd6488@xxxxxxx

While each way would have its advantages/disadvantages, I don't think anyone can really dispute the ease of following a thread through a web-based forum. As far as load goes... There wouldn't be any extra ports open, only port 80 for HTTP. And from a little observation, I see chip is already running Apache 2 (2.0.40) Web server on Red Hat Linux. That means support for PHP is already there, and it wouldn't be any additional packages / services running (That I am aware of). I think if it were apples vs. apples, bandwidth on the server-side would be about the same. But If you take into account all the duplicate reading we do (from reply of reply of reply, etc.) I think that more than makes up for a little more HTML / images from a web-based bulliten board.

As far as bandwidth goes on the client-side (I.E. Dial-up, like me), That can easily be taken care of through different CSS skins / schemes.... It has to be better than duplicate after duplicate. I think it would be great to have a comprimise between the two, but THAT would be a great load on the system.

If I really wanted a Tesla Coil forum, I would just go to one of the many that are already out there. But I'm glad to be a part of this little, ok 1500-member, family. I just think that it would be neat to have a forum under the powerful Pupman/Hot-streamer name.

Don't crucify me ;-)

Jonathon