Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dave,

There are other possibilities for driving big coils.  Just a few
considerations necessary for successful DRSSTC operation.  First,
lower operating frequencies are better, preferably in the 30-40khz
range.  Secondly, the tank capacitor for the primary for a 16 foot
spark system might be as much as .5uF.  For 20 feet it might take 1uF.
 It would have to handle maybe 3000A pk, and maybe up to 200A RMS (but
i havent done any real calculations yet, just estimates).  So the
requirements are just a little different than that of a spark gap
coil.

See you in september?

Steve