Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Hi Steve,

Your observation seems to fit mine. I used a 6x24 toroid at 1080 watts (real power at wall plug) and got a 74 inch arc, I then doubled the NSTs from 2 to 4 and still got about the same arc length. I even got an occasional hit to the strike rail. The coil was tuned but, I didn't have the time that night to scope the SRSG and find the optimum point so more work is need. I might have to go to a 8x32 toroid to get the expected length.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
\> I reckon a reasonable limit for spark length is about
three times whichever of the above dimensions is
smallest. (for the toroid I guess "size" would be the
major diameter?)

This is based on empirical observation so is open to
debate.

Steve Conner