Re: Amount of strings in parallel (primary C)

Hi Seastiaan,

First say what your power source is (ie, 15KV 30ma NST) and what type of gap you are planning on. Next you need to calculate the resonant capacitance value:

Cres(nf) = 10^9/(2*pi*line_freq*XL)

XL  ~= Vs_oc/Is_sc

If you are using a static gap then Cp = 1.6 * Cres         (LTR value)
If you are using a SRSG then  Cp = 2.8 * Cres

Next is to find the maximum peak voltage you will operate at. For static gaps you can figure 1.414 * Vs_oc_rms. For a 15KV nst, this will be 21.2KV. Note that if the main gap and safety gap are opened too far, voltages greater than 21.2KV can be obtained. For a SRSG, it is possible for voltages to scream to higher values if the firing is too late. Since I use the "Terry filter" that has MOVs to protect the NST from overvoltage, I set the cap string voltage close the MOV voltage. In my case, where I'm using 15KV NSTs, I set the cap string voltage to 28KV which is 14 of the CDE 942C series 0.15uf. This gives me a 10.7nf 28KV string. From your calculation above, you can determing how many strings you will need to get the value. You can also build a string with 0.10uf caps or 0.068uf caps if the total capacitance doesn't come out right. You can also add more than the 14 caps in a string to get the capacitance you want.

Gerry R

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello everyone,
I was wondering what determines the amount of capacitor strings
necessary to be placed in parallel for a proper primary capacitor.

I know it is necessary to divide the power over the amount of strings
and am planning on using 5, but I don't know what determines it to be
5 and not 4 or 6 for example. Has anyone a good explanation for this?

--
Best regards,
Sebastiaan