Re: static motor

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Here is a link to a website that shows you how to build an electrostatic
> motor:
> http://f3wm.free.fr/sciences/es_motor.html

That's a version of my popular science-fair website which came from my 1988 science museum exhibit. It's been on the web since 1995.

   "Soda bottle electrostatic motor"
    http://amasci.com/emotor/emot1.html

    History of that invention
    http://amasci.com/emotor/mestat.html

    Search:   "electrostatic motor" +bottle
    http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=%22electrostatic+motor%22+%2Bbottle

This pop-bottle motor is an ultra-simple device for kids which I designed in response to Oleg Jefimenko's old article on e-motors he made from machined plexiglas. http://f3wm.free.fr/sciences/jefimenko.html

Electrostatic Motors http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0917406028/

For anyone wishing to build high-power electrostatic motors, I recommend using a disk geometery rather than cylinders. Make a thin disk-type electrostatic motor, then stack it on a shaft with many identical copies. (This is much harder to do if you use cylinders!) Also, motors based on coronas and plastic, rather than on foil electrodes with brushes, are both simpler and more efficient. It does take higher voltages to start corona motors.