Re: Streamer V/I evolution - Topics Moderator note

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

--- Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Now im wondering if simply the fact of the > secondary capacitance being drained to zero > (perhaps in that 50nS) is what kicks the > primary current up, or if the > streamer would have to > "hold" the secondary output voltage down

>From what I have seen on my DSO, a ground arc does
hold the output voltage down until the end of the
bang. The arc current is a huge spike as the secondary
capacitance discharges to ground (which is what Terry
showed) and then it follows through with an amp or two
of sine wave current coming straight from the driver.

It is this holding down of the output voltage that
makes the primary current rise. Because the secondary
coil isn't resonating freely, it can't "suck" so much
power from the primary circuit.

Obviously if the ground arc only connects near the end
of the bang (which it will if the coil is striking out
at the limit of its range) you'll hardly notice the
follow-through current. It's hardly noticeable in a
spark-gap coil either.

Steve