Corona Bottle Capacitance and twin coils...

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

Could someone who knows please post the capacitance of one (or ten, or whatever) Corona bottles, filled with salt water internally and externally to within 2 inches of the top? I know this has been discussed but I can't find it in the archives (probably due to pilot error).

Right now I have qty 12 in parallel, but I do not have anything like a capacitor meter. (I am building Terry's oscillator to help find resonant frequency, but am stuck on a few parts; Radio Shacks, etc, are few and far between around here).

Second question: Does it really matter if I wrap the Corona bottles in aluminum foil prior to mostly submerging them in the salt water? If it makes a big difference I'll do it, but right now the water in there is as salty as possible.

( If a reference is needed for the size of a cap needed, I'm running a 12kv, 60 ma NST, ~~ 10 turn primary, ~~500 turn secondary.)

Third question: I have another secondary which is wound exactly the same as the original secondary (to within a turn or two). I am more or less expecting to see some energy transfer from the main secondary to the auxiliary secondary, but so far, not much more than any grounded probe generates. no go. Hints? Ideas? Would I need to put a cap on the aux secondary to tune it to the main secondary's resonant frequency (e.g., LC, not just L?)

    -- many thanks,

    Dave Small