Re: Lightning Storm

"     While surveying in the fields E of Denver, I parked my Jeep on a
hill. A storm was gradually moving into my area. I had the radio on
AM and up loud so we could all hear it.

     A strange thing started to happen. The radio would begin to
buzz, first at a very low frequency, but that increased in frequency
to something on the order of 4 Khz. The tone would gradually build
up, there would be a FLASH of lightning, and the tone would die back
down again.

     Soon all of us were getting pretty tense whenever the tone went up!

     I went to my car and looked at it, and to my surprise, there was
a small corona coming off the antenna. It was no more than 1/2", but
the impressive thing to me was that it was visible on a bright day."

	That's no small corona!!!  I had a somewhat experience once flying down
to Cabo San Lucas at the tip of Baja California.  I was on flight plan
and tried to make a position report to La Paz radio while flying almost
directly overhead (about 15k') and under a very, very black cumulous
cloud.  There was so much "precipitation static" that I couldn't hear
the reply.  This was VHF, not BC!  No visible discharge that I could see
out the window.

Ed