Re: Teslas Ball Lightning

Original poster: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My ball lightning experience happened in the mid summer of 1964 or 65.

It was early afternoon, and the western sky turned almost black with an approaching thunderstorm. My 9 year old brother and I were pressed to the screen of your second floor back porch, watching the intense and frequent lightning approach. The rain had not started yet. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning hit the lightning rod on the middle steeple of SS. Peter and Paul's Church, which was about 200 feet north of our vantage point. There was a simultaneous crack of very loud thunder.

Just after the lightning strike, we both saw a medium bright blue white ball, the color of a mercury vapor light but not as bright, emerge from under the eaves of the steeple. The ball "rolled" down the steeply pitched roof of the church and fell to the ground. The landing was hidden behind trees and buildings. I don't recall much wind at the time, and the path seemed pretty straight.

I'd estimate the size of the object was somewhere between basketball and small beach ball size. The speed of travel was a bit faster than a toy balloon falling the same distance, but slower than a dropped basketball would have moved, I do not recall any great acceleration as the object moved. We didn't hear any special noise as the object disappeared. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to go the landing site after the storm to see if there were any burn marks in the ground.

As my brother and I were both very interested in lightning and weather at the time, it was a very exciting event. Regrettably, I've never seen it again, though the stepped lightning that preceded a very intense storm a few years later was probably more impressive. The sequence of progressive cloud to cloud bolts passing from the western horizon overhead to the eastern horizon must have lasted for 12 to 15 seconds. Even sci fi movies have never provided such a fascinating and simultaneously terrifying spectacle.

Dave