Re: LC and Misc Questions

Hi,

At 02:23 PM 7/28/2005, you wrote:

 LC and Misc Questions

  Hello list,

   I have a couple of questions that have stumped me. There are too
many postings to look through regarding these questions and I was
unable find postings with definite conclusions or the info was way
too scattered.

  (1) I've read that secondaries should have LD ratios of 3:1, 4:1,
      4.5:1, etc. Which one is the best? Is there any critical
      difference?

There is no great critical difference. The only real problem can arise if the secondary is so short that the streamers just keep hitting the primary all the time. So the secondary needs to be somewhat tall with a larger top terminal to prevent secondary to primary arcs.

  (2) Enameled wire seems to be used exclusively. Why not stranded
      wire? It has better insulation and it is cheaper. It might
      also help reduce unwanted capacitance, which reduces voltage
      gain. For me, it actually worked better than magneet wire even
      though the sec. inductance is lower.

Stranded wire can certainly be used. The insulation is thicker so the number of turns is reduced but that might be fine depending on the other facts of the coil.

  (3) I've read various opinions about how large primary cap and
      inductance should be. What is the paradigm in determining
      the best values?

Use the largest primary cap you can and still charge to full firing voltage.

  (4) One program, TESLAN, calculates voltage gain using primary
      and secondary capacitances. Another program, TESLAC, calculates
      voltage gain usiing primary and secondary L's. Which one is a
      better predictor of voltage gain?

They are both the same for all practical purposes. L1 x C1 = L2 x C2 so it just depends on how one writes the formulas.

  (5) Are there adv./disadv. of using stacked primares or multiple primaries
      wired in parallel?

In general, no. There are a few odd situations where maybe there is some advantage, but 99% of the time a simple flat primary is fine.

  About my current coil:

    My philosophy is that it is much better to experiment with a trashy
low power coil first and then move to a neatly made quality coil.

Yes. There are a lot of things you will do different the second time ;-)

    sec. len. - 15 in.
    sec. dia. -  5 in.
    sec. wire - about 260 turns of #28 stranded computer cable wire
                made from discontinuous pieces of 11 ft each wrapped
                on plastic wrapped oatmeal box forms

    topload   - 2" x 6.5" made from cardboard, alu. foil, and tape

    primary - 6 turns of #14 awg solid wire wrapped around cereal box
           cardboard form measuring 5 in tall and 8 in wide. Taped at
           2nd turn.

    spark gap - L brackets or multiple screw gaps

    primary cap - 3 para. Rolled caps made from foil tape and thick
                trash bags. Now can withstand up to  7-8kv at LOW POWER
                ONLY!

    sec. spark len. - up to 5" snapping white with breakout

power supply - (Don't laugh) An ignition coil driven by adjustable 14uf/
28uf/42uf cap bank/dimmer combo with bridge rectified output. I have 4 ig.
coils, but it's much better use one first. Higher power only hastens cap death.

    Except sec., setup is tightly packed in thick, small cardboard box.

I would gladly accept suggestions that can improve spark length.

The primary cap is the weakest point there. An MMC that could be charged about 120 times per second would be best. Your rectified driver could probably charge it to really high voltages, but the break rate is a limiter.

Cheers,

        Terry