RE: Large Tesla Coil Construction Details - Help Improving The Primary

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Kurt,

Your primary looks awesome!

> In your place, I wouldn't probably make a completely new
> primary, but at lesat try the one you made, only realizing
> the following modifications (if
> possible):
>
> 1.) Make the height position, relative to the secondary,
> adjustable, in order to be able to change the coupling.

So are you suggesting the primary be below the secondary or above or either?

> 2.) Underlay the spiral with some better insulating material
> (HDPE, PVC, Acrylic...etc). Maybe you could just insert a
> number of distance holders between the wood-base and the coil?

Good idea.

> BTW: when calculating the inductance, remember the normal
> wheeler formula will give too high values! (~15...17%)

I actually measured the inductance, it's not calculated.

Thanks,
Cameron