Re: Large Tesla Coil Construction Details - Comments Requested

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

I tried the "wringer roller" approach and found it to be tedious, almost impossible to control the curling and mildly costly..

I made my own wringer first and had poor results, the rollers NEED to be exactly parallel tangentally in both X and Y positions. The next effort was done at work in the metal shop ( they have a real roller there) and you need to have the tube as straight as possible and as close to perpendicular to the rollers to avoid the "curl" effect.

All I have now is 2 rolls of wavy flattened Cu tubing rolled up in the corner of the shop....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would like to see someone succeed in flattening copper tubing into a flat
ribbon.  I am thinking a couple of powered steel rollers, "wringer style",
would work, with some decent guides into and out of the rollers to ensure
you don't produce a wavey mess.  Flattened tubing would be ideal because the
edges would be rounded and less prone to produce corona than brass ribbon,
and the copper would conduct much better, of course.  Anyone up to the
challenge?
--Steve Y.