Re: 6ga wire vs 1/4 tubing for 900W coil primary?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Does anyone see any advantages or drawbacks (functionally) to using
stranded wire for a primary instead of copper tubing? I was going to
use 1/4" tube, but have a boatload of 6awg stranded wire sitting
here, which will be an awful lot easier to work with, and I figure
that I can strip an inch or so of insulation on the outer turns for
the taps, leaving the rest insulated.

My coils have always used insulated primaries, calculated to have the desired inductance. The calculation is precise, and there is no need of tuning. I like to tune by changing the capacitance of the top load, if necessary. A telescopic antenna for low power, adding a ball at the tip of the antenna to increase the breakdown voltage for higher power. http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/tefp.html (I admit that I have only experimented with relatively low power)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz