Re: I'm a little confused

Hi Tom,

We need more info, like power source, geometry of primary, geometry of secondary, geometry of top load, spark gap description, etc.

Gerry R

Original poster: Thomas DeGregorio <tommacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Okay I am fairly new to coiling I started this winter. I can't
seem to make my coils efficient though. I think my main problem is
the secondary coil LC circuit. I know that on both of my coils the
primary is perfectly fine. If you wish to see my coils I will more
then likely show them.
   My problem seems to be pure confusion. I've read many things on
tesla coils and heard some different opinions. What I mainly heard is
that a coil should be around 800 to 1000 turns so I wound both my six
inch and 2 inch coil in that range. Then for my 2 inch coil I made it
13 inches high it was not a true 2 inch dia (2.25) and it's wound
with 28AWG. Same with my six inch coil I made it 25 inches high since
is not a true 6 inch dia (6.25) and is wound with 23AWG. Both coils
cannot get anywhere in the max spark length range. My 2 inch coil can
only get about 12 inch sparks  running at 270W and my 6 inch coil can
only get 32 inch sparks running at 900W. What I would like to know is
what am I doing wrong? Can anyone tell me if I should add more turns
or less? Oh my 2 inch coil has a 12nF prim cap and 15pF toriod. My 6
inch has a 18nF prim cap and a 40pF toroid (2 stack). So basically
what should I do to improve my sparks, but mainly how many turns
should I use?
-Tom