Re: More results from DRSSTC land

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>There might be something wrong there with the rail power supplies like a bad +V cap...

I think there is just plain not enough bypass capacitance to handle the HF current. The bypass caps form a parallel resonant circuit with the electrolytic cap ESL and the resonant frequency of this ought to be well below the ripple fundamental at twice the operating frequency. Mine probably resonates above 2Fo but below the ripple second harmonic at 4Fo. You do not want it to resonate AT 2Fo or you would get no power output whatsoever and spikes up to twice the DC link voltage!

I only have two 1uF caps there, I should really add 10-20uF worth. Anyway, the bang energy measurement should take this drooping fully into account.

>I wonder what has happened if anyone has tried running a big pig type system >into a "tiny" coil???

Well that is more or less what we _are_ doing since it's so easy to achieve high bang energies with DRSSTCs. You find that in order not to burn up the secondary with racing sparks and flashovers, you have to slow the energy transfer down compared to a bigger coil. So you get shorter but brighter streamers. On a classic coil you would slow the transfer by loosening the coupling.

Steve