Re: Single shaft motor - Ed Wingate?

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

"Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

Thanks.  And it is my understanding that this motor runs completely via
thermal effects (between the balls and chase of the bearings - bearings
expanding due to heat) rather
than electromagnetic principles?

Thanks again.  Now to build one.

Dan"

    Please report results.  The operative word would be "runs" - does it or
doesn't it?

Ed

Ed,

Of course it runs! It runs on AC or DC, it runs in either direction and it will run whether the shaft is brass, aluminum, steel or any other metal. However, it won't self start and isn't very effecient. Mine draws 68 amps at 2 volts.

I don't agree with the thermal expansion explanation. Too slow. Electromagnetic interaction between the rotating balls and the races makes more sense to me.

Ed Wingate RATCB