Re: magnetic quenched triggered gap

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Paul and Scott,

Glad to hear you're at least somewhat back online Paul!!!

Junk dealers don't like microwaves due to the oil filled caps and the xfmrs. They are probably afraid of the dreaded PCB problem, and the xfmrs are too hard to scrap properly.

As for speaker magnets, the newer professional cones have up to 20 lb weight NdFeB magnets. My 1" compression drivers run with a 8" x 1" slab of NdFeB, but I don't know if the steel gap pieces can be removed without destroying the magnet. Might be best to talk to a speaker manufacturer about obtaining just the magnet. I know Electro-Voice has their own magnetics shop, so that might be the place to check.

David E Weiss

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

if you want to use magnets... I would look for Hard Drive magnets or the Neodynium ( spelling??) types ( I think they are the same) speaker magnets are designed to keep the flux in the center of the core ( donut hole) of the magnet... they are pretty weak alse where other than the inside of the hole area.... check Ebay for neodynium magnets... lots of sellers offering them ... I bought 2 2.5"X1.5" rounds and talk about powerful!!!! suck the car keys from your pocket at 12" I placed one on the counter top and it pulled all the steel type kitchen utensiles from the drawer 4" under the counter top at 3-5 feet, it will screw up the TV or computer monitor in a hurry... im sure with this type of flux power it should do something for flux quenching....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "colin heath" <colin.heath4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all,
im looking to build a triggered gap and was wondering about the effectiveness of the magnetic quenched gaps?
what sort of magnets do we need to achieve a good quech in say a 2KW system?
can normal speaker magnets be used or are we talking about high powered rare earth types?
cheers
colin heath