Re: Paralleling choke question

Hi Robert,

If I understand correctly, you are talking about rewiring the burnt variac and using it for a choke for purposes of paralleling the ganged variacs?? If so, solid is better at 60Hz cause there is more cross sectional area of copper than stranded of the same gauge. Magnet wire, I believe, will cool better than PVC insulated wire of the same gauge and current. Also, you may be able to use a larger gauge magnet wire than PVC cause of the thinner insulation. Stranded is better at high RF frequencies where skin effect is a significant issue. Solid also can be bent into shape and it will retain the shape better than stranded and of course stranded is more flexable for applications where this is desirable. Just some considerations.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of ganged variacs for Tesla use and will be paralleling them. I have a small 3Amp 120Volt Variac core that I am planning on using for this purpose. (I fried it myself!) After looking at Scot D.'s weblite article I have some questions. The recipe calls for winding one wire and then the other but in the picture it looks like they are wound side by side. This is a little confusing . Also, does the wire have to be solid and not stranded and if so,why? Any response appreciated- I tried to e-mail Scot but couldn't.
Thanks,
Robert Hanford