Re: PCB oil...

At 10:30 AM 6/8/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Mercurus2000" <mercurus2000@xxxxxxx>

Doesn't all PCB laden oils sink in water due to their higher specific gravity?

Yes but...

The problem is typically equipment that WAS filled with PCBs, then drained, and then refilled with oil. The mixture will float, and is still contaminated with PCBs.

And what does the oil smell or look like?

They all smell the same and look the same... straw or yellowish or clear liquid, in their "new clean" state they're pretty much odorless, but rapidly pick up the smell of varnish, etc.

I frequent many auctions with really old electrical stuff and I want to know what to avoid when it comes to oil containing devices.

No way to know, unambiguously. Of course, this is why people try to get rid of stuff without having anyone look at it too closely. To avoid the PCB liability tail.

Adam