RE: Towards the autonomous lifter - electrostatic voltage generators.

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have not been following this thread so ignore this if it is not applicable, but I think that you will find an example of this on Jean-Louis Naudin's website:

http://jlnlabs.imars.com/lifters/hexalifter/index.htm

You may want to look at his home site www.jlnlabs.org. It is very
interesting.

I was planning to build one of these with my son for a school science
project using an old flyback power supply that I built a few years back.

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 1:04 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Towards the autonomous lifter - electrostatic voltage generators.

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>"Especially useful for our methods might be the
>Wimhurst, Wehrsen,
>Holtz, or Bonetti machines. I believe these devices
>would be able to
>deliver more current and therefore greater wattage for
>our
>application than a Van de Graaff generator."
>     Not sure about it, but I think that ES motors have a very poor
>power/weight ratio, and are probably quite inefficient.  Antonio would
>know about that.  Has anyone calculated the power required to operate a

>lifter of useful size?

Apparently, the required voltage is not so high, maybe less than 20 kV,
but the current is high, more than 1 mA for a small device. It's not
simple to build an electrostatic generator that can produce 1 mA,
operating in normal air. My most powerful machines produce just 100 uA,
and I can't power a lifter with just this. I tried, a significant "wind"
is produced, but not enough to lift the device. Maybe if I manage to
build a very light one. An electronic power supply, maybe using a
Tesla-coil transformer (air core) and a suitable rectifier may be more
practical than an electrostatic generator, when weight is the critical
factor. A 1 mA electrostatic machine would weight many kilograms, not
counting the motor to power it.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz