Microwave capacitors

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Chris,
200 dollars is a lot, if you would have asked on the list.... I can
buy them here in Thailand for 1,82 USD each, buying ten plus shipping
would have saved you some money. You can use them for a power factor
corection, but as a primary capacitor they won't do well. I use high
speed 450VAC pulse capacitors with a speed of 3300 Vµs. The speed
3300 Vµs does not mean that the capacitor is made to handle 3300 Volt.
It only indicates how fast a capacitor can be charged and discharged.
In this case the capacitor is rated at 1000 Volt DC and can charge and
discharge itself 3.3 times in 1 µs. The speed of the capacitor is
related to the time it takes the Tesla coil to produce a spark and
should therefore be as high as possible.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005, 6:07:59 AM, you wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I can't answer your question, but I'm slowly building/designing my first
> Tesla coil, unfortunately I *may* have just waited about $200 on some
> capacitors that may be useless.  I purchased 10 * 2500V 1.3uF microwave
> capacitors, they charge up nicely and produce a nice crack when discharged,
> except when thinking about their make up (liquid filled) and their 50Hz
> frequency rating, when I start to pulse them in the Khz range they may
> start to heat up due to losses etc.  Can anyone advise?  If they're no good
> as high voltage pulse capacitors would they be any good in a voltage
> multiplier circuit to drive a pulse capacitor? Or should I just use 4 * 4KV
> transformers with secondary in series??  Any ideas what I can do with 10 *
> 2500V 1.3uF 50Hz capacitors in relation to making a Tesla coil??

> Thanks

> Christopher

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

-- Best regards, Sebastiaan