Re: Coupling vs secondary voltage chart

Hi Bob,

At 05:57 PM 6/15/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

I was very surprised how wide (0.1) the peaks of the high magic k values
were and how shallow (5%) the dips were in between.
In addition how smooth (<5%) the first part of the graph was.

It might be different for a different coil... Assuming that K=0.25 is a very high limit due to racing arcs, the magic K values don't seem to be a factor.

I don't know what assumptions have been used in the model.
In particular how it models the distributed coupling (k) and the distributed
nature of the secondary must effect the top voltage particularly so for
high(0.6) coupling.

It is a purely "lumped parameter" model.

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/ScanTesla-110.pdf

That file is out of date, but you get the idea...

I guess its a lumped model in which case for high(0.6) k 20% of input energy
could goes in to higher modes which are not modeled.

True!! But nobody has a coil with k= 0.6. The program scans the whole K space, but past k=0.25 is not very useful in the real world.

Cheers,

        Terry

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl