From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:20 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Primary current vs. BPS

Hi All,

While playing with the ScanTesla program, I realized I might have been
making a mistake over the years.

I think I always assumed that primary RMS current was directly proportional
to the BPS rate.  So if you double the BPS, the primary RMS current
doubles...
So if you have 10Arms at 120 BPS you would have 20Arms at 240 BPS.

But that is not true.

To double the RMS current you have to have four times the BPS rate or:

Ipri : sqrt(BPS)

Thus, at 240 BPS the current above would be 14.142 Arms.

If you double the BPS you double the power.  But power is proportional to I
"squared", not I.  Therefor, to double the power, you only need to increase
the current buy sqrt(2)...

Doubling the BPS rate doubles the power which implies that the RMS current
goes up by a factor of 1 / sqrt(2)....

I may have been the only one making this error, but now I stand corrected
*:-)

The next version of ScanTesla will have a factor of 1 / (sqrt(BPS)) for a
way to find Ipri(rms) independently of already knowing BPS or the
calculation interval in the program's RMS calculation....

For the MMC calculations, I seem to have done it right.  So I probably
forgot it and had to relearn it 0:-p

Cheers,

	Terry