Re: Coupling vs secondary voltage chart

Hi Steve,

The program says that your coil should work better at k=0.18 !!

There is more power delivered to the streamer and it is delivered faster!!

I wrote a file explaining it (sort of quickly thrown together...) at:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/WardsCoil-18vs25.pdf

The chart on page three shows the streamer energy (joules) as a function of time. Blue is the K=0.18 case and read is the K=0.25 case. The higher K is actually hurting the speed of the power delivery and apparently wasting more of the coil's energy.

The delivered power to the load goes from 6.253J to 6.822J and the power is delivered about 20 to 50uS faster. The primary currents go down a tiny bit and the capacitor voltage goes up about 100V so not big deal there. Primary frequency goes up a tiny bit. Secondary peak voltage is a tiny bit lower.

If you get 72 inches now, changing the k to 0.18 might increase that to 72 x SQRT( 6.822 / 6.253 ) = 75.2 inches.

This is using the programs new "streamer power vs. time" function. It shows the energy delivered to the streamer as a function of time.

The latest program is here:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/ScanTesla620.ZIP

Sorry to keep updating the program all the time. But I just keep adding new features as I want ;-)) I need to write general instructions for it too....

Cheers,

        Terry