Re: Coupling vs secondary voltage chart

Hi Boris,

At 05:35 AM 6/17/2005, you wrote:

Hi Malcolm,

> One system I took > to critical coupling required elevating the > secondary more than 3 > feet above the primary. Also, power transfer is > getting pretty lossy > at critical coupling as the inherent coil losses > become significant. > The possible voltage maximum would be less at > critical coupling > because of these losses. Consider: an ideal > (lossless) transformer is > always depicted with k = 1. ----- Thought I have been pondering over the years :Is it always true that the longest arcs from disruptively operated TC must be the ones that dissipate the highest power?

It does not seem to hurt to add more power. The Freau equation seems to work very well on power is it's only input.

L = 1.7 x SQRT(power)

My gut feel is this might not be always the case.

Recently, the time it takes to deliver power to the streamer seems to be very important. We want to deliver power to the streamer, but we also need to do it fairly quickly!

Longer rise times (over more rf cycles) are good for
arc propagation and they are achieved by lowering the
coupling.
On the other hand,as you said,too low coupling results
in primary spark gap (or IGBT),and primary in general
,chewing up more percentage of the available power.
There must be optimum choice(s) between these two
factors affecting performance for every separate
system under consideration.

ScanTesla is meant to exhaustively test all the choices... One cannot just "see" the best answer at this time, so letting a computer test about 1,000,000 choices is what the program tries to do.

Cheers,

        Terry

regards,
Boris