Re: ScanTesla700 - Now were playing with power :-)

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey Terry,

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I was up till 4:00am last night working on the latest version of
> ScanTesla. This version has full input output abilities to make things
> like "in vs out" plots, surface plots, contour plots, 3-D plots, 4-D
> movies.... :-))). Just depends on how good your data analysis program
> is. MathCad 6 on a 3GHz computer was huffing and puffing, but it did
> pretty good.
>
> When Goal type "2" is selected, the normal outputs are turned off and it
> blows "everything" to a big "data.csv" file. The first row lists what the
> columns are.
>
> "Model
> Number,C1,R1,L1,L2,K12,R2,C2,C3,R3,abs(ILp_max),ICp_rms,abs(VCp_max),abs(VCs_max),Bang
> J,Load J,Fo_pri,Fo_sec,LERT.
>
> Here is a pretty full analysis of Steve's coil with nice color contour
> plots showing he is tuning in just the right area:
>
> http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/SteveWardCoil-ScanTesla700.pdf
>
> Sorry about page two being blank...
>
> I think you will find the above rather "stunning" *8-) As far as I know
> and can tell, it is pretty accurate given what we know this afternoon...

Very cool graphs :-)

Only improvement i could see would be adding grid lines to help see
things clearer.  Maybe you could limit your coupling domain to a max
of say .35 to cut down on unnecessary data,  i dont think we could
handle K=.35 anyway in real life...

> The first Secondary Voltage plot is the full "landscape" of coupling and
> tuning vs. top voltage.   The peak is around a coupling of 0.10 and
> Lp~13.2.  Pretty how there are other peaks and valleys...

Oh, you had asked if the 15.3uH was the primary alone or with the
wiring as well.  It turns out i had moved the primary tap to 5.5 turns
(not 6 as i had remembered...) which puts Lp at 13.26uH ;-).  Not sure
on a good estimate of the wiring, probably about 2' of 8awg wiring in
the whole primary circuit.  Maybe 1-2uH...

> The Primary Peak Current as a low spot about where the high spot is for
> output voltage.

:-)

  I suppose one could divide the two to find the single spot
> of maximum efficiency...

The grid lines would help very much here.

> The primary Bang Energy in the area of interest is a little washed out due
> to the very high energies around K=1.0...  There is a little bump near
> there, but it seem pretty flat.

Yeah, get rid of the super high K stuff!  Its neat to see just how the
circuit should act at those couplings, but it sorta gets in the way of
the really useful stuff.  In this case as you say, it sorta washes out
the color plot since the energy is so extreme with the super high K.
Would rather have much more data in the usable range of coupling.
Listen to me complain!  haha.

> The Load Energy Rise Time is pretty cool!  There is a "bad spot" and a
> "good spot" pretty close to each other in the area Steve's coil is at.

That seems to go along with real tests as well... tuning seems pretty
touchy where im at now.

  He
> may want to lower the coupling (0.19) to ~0.165...

Simple enough!  Just gotta stick some more wooden blocks under there
;-).  Wont be able to try it for awhile though, i have night classes
MTW and then im taking off to ohio thursday-saturday with Bert and
some other guys to make some lichtenberg figures :-)).  So probably
sunday night if it doesnt rain or something.

> The latest version of ScanTesla that does all this is here:
>
> http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/ScanTesla700.zip
>
> You just change input.txt for any coil and you will need some kind of data
> crunching program like Excel, OpenOffice, MathCad, etc. to make the pretty
> charts from the data.csv file.

Cool.  I see how you enter the coil parameters (pretty straight
forward there), but im not sure how to make sense of the output file
yet.  I only spent a few minutes with the program, so maybe i should
just give myself some more time.

Keep up the great work Terry!  We will have tesla coils "solved" in no
time, haha just kidding ;-)

Steve