Re: design sanity check

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

Ben,

I have always favored flat spiral primaries for the very reason that you have discovered.

Ed Sonderman

In a message dated 6/18/05 4:29:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Ben Ziegler" <crossguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey all -
  I am halfway through construction of my first "junkbox" style tc.  Quick
specs:
140 V variac, 15/30 NST, terry filter
two geek group bucket caps
24 AWG secondary, 576 turns (14") on 4" OD sealed pvc
topload of 4" minor diameter flex aluminum ducting

Using Bart Anderson's JavaTC, I get closest to resonance with a primary  of:
18 turns of 4 AWG copper, helical
6" diameter, 12" high

This puts the top of the primary about 6" from the topload.  This seems
like a good way to get a primary strike after very little operation.  Since
the secondary is complete, I can tweak the topload, power supply, and
anything in the primary circuit.  Any suggestions on the best way to lower
the primary coil's physical height without going way out of resonance?

thanks,
Ben Ziegler