Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

On 26 Jun 2005, at 16:52, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
> outside and inside the 51 feet main coil. Of course, per the computer
> simulation, the term "ran well" is a bit up in the air. I would tend
> to think the distance from the ID of the outer coil to the OD of the
> inner coil would have made for some rather loose coupling, compared to
> the energy the extra coil received from the direct connection at it's
> base from the top of the secondary. Roughly that is ~21 feet extra
> coil OD to main coil ID, yes that is kind of loose coupling. Since you
> are now looking at inductive coupling when the extra coil  is within
> the main, I took a look at the drawing again because something struck
> me as odd.
> http://www.hot-streamer.com/mike2004/Wendover_Coil_Print_And_Spec.jpg
> because I see what looks like a reverse sense winding  of the extra
> coil compared to where it comes off the primary. Unless that was done
> for convenience, which would not be good to do, note that the 50 feet
> of wire from secondary dresses to the left hand side (facing) of the
> extra coil base. This implicates the direction of winding to start
> point reference. At the secondary top this wire feeds from, it shows,
> not clearly enough, that if the end of the secondary simply went
> straight off the turn in the direction of the extra coil (the 50 feet
> of wire) to the left side of extra coil base and start point, they are
> wired out of phase, if you also view them later in a center of main
> coil placement. But the turn at the top of the extra coil, by the
> print, shows the wire exiting the winding and terminating at the top
> in the proper phase. In stand alone outside placement, this phase
> issue in no big deal but if the coupling inside the main coil is
> enough to take into account as extra input power as you thought it
> might be taken if the program were so modified, the phase may be wrong
> and bucking. What is confusing by the drawing is the base of extra
> coil starts in one direction but ends at the top in the other
> direction. So we have 3 data points of coil winding direction, the one
> at top of secondary, says CCW, the one at base of extra coil says CW
> and the top of extra coil says CCW. A picture of the secondary from
> another site shows the Extra coil, just like the print, gets a feed
> starting on the left hand side of the extra coil base. See
> http://home1.gte.net/res07cmo/hv/golka/golka.htm
>   for a couple of decent pictures showing this.
> So, the secondary base seems wired to the print, clearly if it winds
> upward, it has to come out as a CW winding. Like in the old comedy,
> who's on first? With the great spacing between Primary and extra, it
> may not make much difference for your induction feed but if used, a
> closer look at this phasing may be in order. For Malcolm a question,
> when you did that 1:25 ratio scale model, did you use this print as a
> coil winding model, do you still have it, etc. Regards, Mike

          I tore the coil to pieces ages ago but it wouldn't be hard
to re-duplicate. The pri/sec system was about 2' in diameter. The
extra coil was scaled down from the 8' diameter original. All coils
had what I thought at the time were the correct number of turns: 2
for the primary, 12 (or was it 20?) for the secondary and 100 for the
extra (I used litz). I used the B&W print of Bob's coil sitting in
the field plus the data which went with the article as a reference. I
also checked it against the many variations Tesla described in the
CSN. Apart from the coupling I measured another interesting aspect of
the design was the choice of aspect ratio for the extra coil (or at
least some variations of it) - 1:1 for some. That ratio scores the
highest Q for any coil I've measured and is also cited for that
reason in other literature.

Malcolm