Re: Theory acceptance

Hi,

On the Tesla list we search for tools, methods, and things that "help us make better Tesla coils". There are many wonderful discoveries and new science out there that, although being quite valid, "does not" help us make better Tesla coils.

If it is found tomorrow that atoms are made of cheese, would the new science of cheesy atoms be allowed on the list? A simple question would have to be answered. Does it "help us make better Tesla coils"?

If nothing really changes for us and the subatomics being made from cheese really does not change things in our would, we "don't" care.... If making our top terminals out of cheese will enhance the cheese particles to get longer streamers, we "do" care...

So lets suppose EM theory falls apart tomorrow and we suddenly have a nice new theory. Do "we care"? If the new theory has elements to it that will help us make better Tesla coils, Yes! If all the old EM assumptions work just the same and the new theory does not help us make better Tesla coils, we don't care...

But, in many cases, it is not that simple. Suppose Terry says that we all need to wind our coils with light blue magnet wire since that is the color of streamers and they will like that and grow longer. Since this great new thought would help us make better Tesla coils, of course it is on topic and happily accepted!

But now Paul says, "Terry there is no reason that the wire color would affect streamers... I just ran a bunch of models with blue and 16777215 other wire colors and the streamers should all be just the same..."

Terry responds that Paul's models must be wrong otherwise why would streamers be blue... Paul questions if Terry has done any verification or used any real science to make his conclusions about wire colors...

Then Gerry builds two identical coils, one with light blue wire and the other with black wire... Gerry finds that the streamer lengths are exactly the same!!...

Eventually, everyone is convinced that the blue wire theory does not have merit and it is forgotten...

Until 2 years later... When someone else says "we all need to wind our coils with white magnet wire!!" This time we immediately say they are wrong and that there is no experimental or scientific reason wire color makes any difference... The poster is saddened that we will not listen to his "new" idea and we all want to see "proof"... Many are accused of being closed minded... Many are accused not doing good science...

Inevitably, someone will mention that lightning comes from white clouds... Someone else will counter that lighting really comes from dry grey clouds... NO! The clouds just look dark grey because it is raining!!.... Somehow... we are then talking about what color rain clouds are...

Of course, these are the usual "bad" scenarios... Folks don't seem bothered when a new idea works great ;-)) I wish I could detect the good from the bad right off (and get away with it :o)) But I just let you all work it out until it gets to the point of being worthless and it won't go away...

As moderator, I don't steer the boat in a perfectly straight line. I just grab the wheel right before it hits the big rocks... Sometimes, I get there too late ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry