Re: Terry's DRSSTC - First light ;-))

Hi,

80A... 10,000,000A...  1936A....

I need to make the ground wiring to the strike rail larger I guess!!  ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry

At 11:14 AM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

If you take the whole thing to be a resonant circuit ringing at 40MHz, with
15pF capacitance charged to 500kV then you can see that one quarter cycle
later the peak streamer current will be pretty big because the inductance is
so small. I got over 10 million amps in a quick back of the envelope
calculation.

15 pF of capacitance, 1 meter of "wire" having about 1 uH, results in
oscillation at 41 MHz. 15 pF 1t 500 KV is 1.875 J. The same energy in 1 uH of inductance is "just" 1936 A.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz