Need Help With School Project

Original poster: "M Duce" <mduce@xxxxxxx>

First of all I would like to thank all those that replied to me last time I needed help.

I have now collected the following items:
NST ? 12,000 V     30 MA
White PVC Pipe - 3.25 inches
Enameled Copper Wire ? 24 AWG
Soft Copper Tubing - .25 inch diameter
Aluminum Dryer Vent Duct ? 3 and 5 inch
2 Large Aluminum Pie Pans
Variac ? 120 V    8 A ? if of any use

My dad is helping me with any mechanical help, if I need it. I think that now I am at the stage where we must wind the coil onto the PVC pipe for the secondary coil. I am worried about the wire staying on the pipe. Should it have lacquer applied to it? If so, what kind of lacquer or would it cause the coil to arc across the windings. I was figuring a variable electric drill to spin it. Does this seem good? We are thinking about doing about 900 turns of the wire. Does this sound alright?

Is my 30 MA NST powerful enough for this size of coil? I think I get my hands on a 60 MA NST cheaply if necessary.

For my spark gap I am not really sure what to do. I am not sure weather to use the rotary or stationary spark gap. Where would I find the plans for a simple one?

I am thinking about using a beer bottle capacitor. My dad has already agreed to empty the bottles of Corona. []

Would be grateful for any help or advice,
Mitchell