Re: Random TC Questions

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Leave a 1 inch gap in your strike rail --- otherwise it acts like a single
shorted turn and drains away lots of energy from the sec coil --- also, due
to the high current, it might melt!  Attach a ground to this strike rail.
Keep this strike rail at least 4 inches away from your primary as the outer,
unused pri turns act like an autotransformer and may produce as much as 100
kV which will arc to your strike rail.

Always use a good EMI filter at the point where the power enters your
control panel.  We also use some simple "hash" chokes in each leg of the
power line to filter out the lower frequencies.  A 2 inch ID tube is filled
with 1/8th inch steel rods (coat hanger work ok) cemented into place.
Support on two insulators and wind the outside of the PVC tube with 12 AWG
house wiring --- about 50-60 turns works fine.  These filter combos will
prevent any power line interference from messing up anyones computer in your
school or science fair.

Dr. Resonance