Re: PVC Pipe - Plastic Wrap Coating

Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

I was looking at you primary. Are those just standard push pins or did you modify them??

Real nice looking work!

Shaun Epp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:31 PM Subject: Re: PVC Pipe - Plastic Wrap Coating

Hi Paul,

At 04:21 PM 3/12/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,
What kind of plastic tube is that in your photo?

It is 1/8 thick 6 inch diameter Lexan from Mcmaster Carr. I had it laying around as "extra", so I used it for this coil. I forget how much it cost, but I think it was very pricey!!... I looked it up as #8585K23 at $28.44/foot!! But "normal" folks should not go paying that much!! Use cheap sewer pipe instead...

Do you seal the top and bottom of your secondary coils?

No. I don't use coatings anymore and I drill and pass bolts through the secondary tube as many will say not to do.... But I like to think even though I do these naughty things I have never had a problem with it and "I" sort of "know" how far to push those things ;-))

I live in SC and it is extremely humid here in the summer. That is why I am so concerned about sealing the PVC.

I think it is going to snow here in CO since the humidity is getting "really high" like 30%!! I don't worry much about humidity here... Have to judge what to do in your local...

Also, with the coating from Dolph being rated at 2000 V per mil, I thought the extra insulation over the windings wouldn't hurt.

It will not hurt anything!! Best to slowly turn the coil from a little motor while it dries to get a very nice even coating.

Do you run the coil in the pictures with the primary as high up on the secondary as it shows?

That was a CW coil arc over so the primary was super high compared to most coils in that case.

What kind of wire are you using for the primary?

It is just that 50 foot roll 1/4 inch OD copper tubing called "refrigeration tubing" from the hardware store. Pretty cheap at about $14 for 50 feet and it is nicely packed in a coil already.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DRSSTCprimary.JPG

Note that my primary to secondary spacing is extremely close!! I can pretty much ground the inner turn in the DRSSTC case so I can get away with that...

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks
Paul Brodie