Re: Random TC Questions

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
David,

If you want to keep the neighbors, the phone company(long personal story) and your electronic equipment happy, an EMI filter is absolutely needed. They're so cheap, there's no reason not to use one. A poorly tuned coil without an EMI filter can burn your house down by causing arcing in the wiring in your walls. Try to explain that one to your insurance rep.

Ed Wingate RATCB

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ben,

It isn't absolutely needed, but if you have one kicking around, use it. It will help keep RF trash to a minimum.

Keep the gap in your strike rail, and absolutely ground it.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Medina, Benjamin (UMR-Student)" <bamxbb@xxxxxxx>

Hello Folks. I have two random questions:

1. Is an EMI Filter between the NST primary and the power connection
recommended or required? This is a school project.

2. I've seen images of the strike rail having a gap (not connected or
soldered). I read somewhere that there should be a gap so that the
strike rail does not form an inductance which may interfere with the
operation of the primary/secondary magnetic coupling. What happens if I
connect the strike rail and then run that to the ground?

Thanks again!!

Ben Medina
Rolla, MO.