Re: Tesla coil help

Hi Andrew,

We sort of need to know if the NST is 30 or 60mA.

Are your caps rated for very high current? If so, you can probably put them in a 2 x 2 configuration for 20kV at 10nF (0.010mfd). But be careful there since Tesla coils can fry caps that are not just right.

Usually a 2 to 3 foot secondary is nice.

Don't worry about pole pigs until you get this one working. There are so many detail an options at that level it is just too messy to deal with until you figure out the first coil. After that, many many things will be much more clear.

If you NST is 30mA the maximum expected spark if everything is just right is 36 inches. Probably go to 50 inches at 60mA. But those are for coils where everything is just perfect. 30 and 40 inches is probably more realistic for a first coil.

Right now, I would say to check or tell us more about those primary caps and the NST current. Once that is all figured out, you can go to the coil construction.

Cheers,

Terry