Re: bipolar coil design

Original poster: Lee Kohlman <lwkksw@xxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 3/21/05 8:52:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: Lee Kohlman

I'm new to the list and have been collecting information and parts to build
a tesla coil.
I am planning to build a bipolar coil.

My current specs are looking like this:

Secondary- 20 Awg wound 56" on a 6.25" pvc form, approx 1700 turns
Primary- 6 turns .25" copper tube flat spiral 4.5" id, 8" od at center of
secondary

sorry, that should be 4.5" inside radius and 8"outside radius (9"id,16"od)

Hv Supply- 2x 15kV 60mA NST (parallel) Cap- .03uF 45kV pulse capacitor Topload- 2x 6" aluminum dryer duct 30" diameter toroid, 1 on each end 4" from secondary windings.

Secondary frequency- 112.76kHz
Primary- 232.96 kHz

I used javatc to do the calculations. If you want to see the complete
output let me know.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lee K.

Hi Lee,

How do you get the inner diameter of the primary to be smaller than
the diameter of the secondary? Perhaps you mean 4.5" inner radius?
Positioning and tuning a single primary system can be tedious but doable.
With only 6 turns on your primary, you won't have much tuning flexibility

Matt D.