Re: 3rd harmonic trap

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> "Dear List
> I am wondering whether it would be possible to use a parallel-resonant
> LC
> circuit in series with the primary of an SSTC as a "trap" to suppress
> the
> unwanted 3rd harmonic mode of oscillation.
> Does anyone know if this is feasible or even desireable?
>
> Jolyon"
>
>         You could certainly do that, but don't think the difference would be
> noticeable.  There isn't that much harmonic energy present to begin with
> and the inductive coupling to the tuned secondary wouldn't pass much of
> whatever is there.
>
> Ed

	OOPS!  Didn't read that as carefully as I should and withdraw the
remark as I can't say whether such a trap would reduce or enhance the
possibility of the setup oscillating at a harmonic.  Somewhere I have a
paper written by a guy who was involved in a cyclotron at UCLA and which
discusses all of the problems of trying to drive a resonant load from a
self-excited oscillator.  His conclusion was that it's very hard to get
stable AND efficient operation.

Ed