Re: transistors instead of diodes?

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner@xxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Jolyon Cox" <jolyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I am wondering if in place of fast-recovery diode it would be possible to use a second transistor in anti-parallel with each transistor of the H-bridge; the latter switching on at the same time as the former but switching off a short period later to allow any spikes to be returned to the supply rails.

I think the "diode replacement" transistor would not especially like the reverse voltage (full rails V) placed across it, which will happen in a lot of different scenarios... You could add a fast recovery diode in series to protect against the reverse voltage, but that kind of defeats what you were trying to achieve in the first place ;-)

cheers,
 - Jan