Re: Getting to the limit with an NST powered SGTC

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

the color is the difference in amperage "confinement" in the streamer. the purple ones are indicators of low current streams in the air which are ionizing nitrogen. As the current becomes more channeled( as in a streamer to ground) the additional current begins to ionize oxygen and also starts ionizing nitrogen to even higer levels, thus resulting in color shifts from the additional levels the electrons have to fall back into place ( when electrons are boosted to higher level orbits, they eventually lose "power" and the electron falls back to its original orbit releasing a photon in the process, the drop from higher to lower level orbits create specific wavelengths of light for example: nitrogen with a 1 level drop produces wavelengths in the 400 or so nM range purple)...

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: <dgoodfellow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:37 PM Subject: Re: Getting to the limit with an NST powered SGTC

Are they blue/white or purple? Blue/white is good, purple is not so good.

I'm very curious now, what is a purple streamer telling us? I only see a bright blue or whitish color if the arc is hitting ground, otherwise my free air sparks are kind of a royal blue, bordering on purple. At least that's the way they photograph!

Dave Goodfellow