RE: horizontal half wave (double ended) coil

Original poster: "Ralph Zekelman" <gridleak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dr R,

When I built my several sizes of  horizontal half-waves, the sliding
trombone design suggested itself for the reasons you give. I opted
instead for a 3-inch space
between the two halves with a single turn of the wire wrapped around the
form
to connect the two halves. Using the sliding trombone design, how would
you
suggest that connection be made? I thot the obvious of simply allowing
the wire to
form a vertical loop alongside the coil form. That was the option I
rejected in
favor of the fixed 3-inch space. My coils all use a solenoid primary.

Ralph Zekelman

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

A smaller 10 inch long PVC tube fitted inside the two sec coils allows
you
to slide the secs apart to get the best possible output and also avoids
the
"double-hump" overcoupling as indicated on a scope.  Use some drilled
holes
through both tubes and a small plastic "pin or peg" to affix it to it's
final position after all the testing is through.  A 3 to 4 inch space
should
give the best results.  Or, once the best position is found, just glue
the
tubes in place.

Keep the innermost turn of the primary at least 2.5 inches away from the
coilform with dual type coils.

Dr. Resonance