Re: LC III

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,
          I went through a period of some agonizing back in the 90's
trying to understand exactly what is going on in a TC resonator. I
had to regard the Corum's basic description of disturbance
propagation in a coil as correct since the current is non-uniform
because the speed of light is finite and the coil has spatial
dimensions which means (propagation) time is involved. On reading
their analysis more carefully I realized that all their VSWR voltage
predictions were based on CW drive. It seemed to me that the typical
disruptive coil "looked" lumped because it was driven with finite
shots of energy. Additionally, using lumped parameters (Medhurst's
capacitance formula e.g.) finally meant that one could design a coil
for a nominated resonant frequency (it took the guesswork out of that
aspect of the design). However as Robert Jones has pointed out, the
capacitance Medhurst's formula gives is *not* the static isotropic
capacitance of a conductive cylinder. This is easily measured and I
have done it. For one particular resonator I recal measuring
somewhere in the vicinity of 100pF where Medhurst gives (a la
resonant frequency calculations) somewhere around 25pF. Therefore,
Medhurst (and Wheeler) give us a useful tool for coil design but say
little about the actual working mechanism. To me it is a recipe
approach and nothing more. Extremely useful but limited to coil
building and not to an operational description. I read the latest
paper from the Corum's from (I think it was) Bill Wysock's website
just recently and see at the bottom what I interpret to be a
concession not to the resonator's physics but operational differences
(e.g. output voltage) between the two modes of operation. I may have
that wrong so please don't quote me. I still think the idea of
coherence on the resonator is not an accurate description of coil
operation *unless perhaps* the coil is fed with pulses and not an
oscillator.

I stand to be corrected/flamed etc.
Malcolm