Re: TOPLOAD (TOROID)

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:17 PM Subject: Re: TOPLOAD (TOROID)

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Hi Ben, > > At 02:42 PM 3/29/2005, you wrote: > >Hello folks. I have another question. > > > >To match the capacitance obtained from the software's online (for the > >toroid), can I just purchase any size aluminum duct from Lowe's or Home > >Depot (say 4"x8' piece or 3"x8' piece)? Or do you I have to physically > >measure the capacitance of my toroid once it's been constructed? > > Usually you tell the program what dimensions your toroid "is" and it goes > from there. If you are trying to make a toroid to be a specific > capacitance, then it is tricky but possible. > > I always make toroids that "look right" compared to everyone else's > coils. If the toroid "looks" too big or too small, I tend to have problems... > >

I find that usually, you start with materials you have available and see if
it works.  A couple pie pans and either size of ducting will get you
started.  Toroid overall diameter should be on the order of the secondary
coil length... get much bigger and it looks weird.  get much smaller, and
the toroid breakdown voltage gets too low, and you just get a brushy
discharge (the limit being the "bolt on top of a coil with no toroid" kind
of display.