Re: No Terry filter

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/30/05 11:36:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have never used any protection between neons and the coil,...other than maybe a safty gap, with only a couple of failures over many years,(static gaps )... BUT , I usually ran 2 or more ne transformers at a time , is there safety in numbers ?? Any kickback would be absorbed by the many transfrmers ? Now Im on mini pig power................

I've had good results over the years too without any safety filters.
My old research coil with the 12/30 NST, then later the TT-42
coil never ruined any transformers provided I used a SRSG.
Even the use of resonant sized cap values did not destroy
the NST's provided that an SRSG was used.
The static gaps were prone to destroying the NST's despite
shorter output spark lengths.  I do use safety gaps however.
In SRSG use, they never fire however.  They're there in case
something else fails.

John