Re: MOV lightning arrestor in place of safety gap...MCOV?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hard to say. I'm guessing it has mostly to do with thermal breakdown. These are rated for 10kA surges, and the datasheet indicates that part of the test procedure includes a 500A two-second fault current test. Yow! I'm pretty sure my pig won't do that! :)