Re: X-Ray Transformer VERY Scarred!

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <tesla_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm not a chemist nor am I a physician, but I think
the health risks of PCBs have been greatly overblown.
You should not take a bath in PCB oil nor should you
drink it. If you handle it with the same respect you
extend to gasoline, drain opener, bleach, bug spray,
ammonia, and the dozens of other truly dangerous
chemicals in your household, you should be safe
enough.

A little PCB splashed on your skin may cause a rash
but more likely will have no effect at all. Don't pour
it in the storm drain or flush it down the toilet.
Don't try to bury it in the back yard. The best place
for it is right where it is--inside the transformer
can!

If you call a hazmat disposal service, your county
agent, or any agent of government, you will probably
regret it. A government bureaucracy with an inflexible
set of rules and an irrational fear of PCBs really is
something to be afraid of. If it turns out to be PCB
they will put your life in a blender over nothing. If
I were in your situation I would just clam up.

Clean up your little spill the same way you would
clean up spilled motor oil. Get a sheet of cork or
neoprene gasket material at an auto parts store and
replace the crumbly gasket. Keep the transformer fluid
right inside the transformer doing what it has been
doing so well for the past 30-40 years. If anyone
asks, it is "mineral oil"! And who knows? Maybe that's
all it is!

My $0.02 worth,

Greg