Re: X-Ray Transformer VERY Scarred!

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Some people have said that you can do a "burn test";
dip a bit of paper towel in it, light it, and stand
way back.  PCBs won't burn.  Ordinary mineral oil will
burn.  I'm not a huge fan of this approach, though.  I
like to be sure.  So...

Dial up the website of Forestry Suppliers, Inc., and
order a single-use "Chlor-n-Oil" 50ppm test kit by
Dexsil.  They were about $20 last I checked, and can
tell you if you've got something real nasty on your
hands or not (according to the EPA, that is).  They're
not too difficult to use, though they're not too
*easy* to use either, I'll admit (lots of steps).
Anyway, if I were buying a transformer off eBay or
otherwise from somebody who doesn't deal with them a
lot (like a utility company or transformer rebuild
company), I'd never go without one of these.  In fact,
one of my first pigs was a 1960's pig from a local
power utility.  When I realized the age, I performed a
test myself even though the utility told me it was
non-PCB.  Turns out they were correct, but I don't
regret for a moment paying the $20 to prove it to
myself :)

Some people have also said that statistics are on your
side here, too:  Only a small percentage of
transformers built during the "age of PCBs" actually
contain PCBs.  Mostly PCBs were used in capacitors, HV
contactors/breakers and other stuff like that.
...again, from what I've heard.

Anyway, don't get yourself too scared.  There are easy
and inexpensive ways to figure out if you've got PCBs
on your hands, and if you do, just try not to drink
the stuff! :)

73,
Aaron, N7OE