Re: topic drift from Russian high-voltage to Russian Tesla Coils and Canadian ham radio operators

Original poster: dave pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>

(are we too far off topic....?]

"No Tesla there but serious high-power RF with frequency hopping -- high
tech for its day..."

    There have been a number of somewhat similar installations over the
years, starting (as far as I know) with work at SRI in the early
1970's.  Some are still on the air, particularly in Australia.  The
frequency hopping was to avoid interference and to pick frequency of
best propagation on the desired path.  Since the peak powers were in the
megawatts I suspect that the transmitters would have made interesting
sources for VTTC's.

One US version was at/near Cutler Maine, I got an IEEE tour. Being scrapped out as we speak, i believe. Recollect it as lots of conventional KW level transmitters, phase locked, 'large' antenna array.

   best
      dwp