[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: No Terry filter
Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 04:17 PM 5/2/2005, you wrote:
If you could answer the following questions, I might be able to help you:
1. Designed targets for Ballast inductance (mH, line current, and
operating voltage 120,140,240,280).
It was some king of transformer. I think Dave rewound and removed some core
from. Look really nice!! But hard "facts" about it are zero...
2. Number of ballast turns, cross sectional area core, winding length
top to bottom.
3. Core geometry with dimensions, and lamination geometry.
You getting into that transformer stuff aren't you ;-)) I don't know any
4. Measured line current when failed.
There was an ammeter in poor shape but who looks at those things while the
sparks are going ;-))
5. Variac output voltage when failed.
6. Cp value.
7. Type and make of capacitor and its Vdc, Ipeak, Irms, and voltage
Homemade rolled poly... Value unknown to me...
8. String length and number of strings in parallel (Cp array).
9. How were the safety gaps set?
The 1.5KVA pole pig (Dave got his at the same time you got yours from the
"guy") had a gap that fired a LOT... Seemed like things were not happy...
10. Was the TC tuned at low variac voltages? Was the SRSG adjusted at
low variac voltages?
I played with it to try to tune it to the best sparks in real time....
11. TC primary inductance (from JAVATC or equivalent).
12. Where in the cycle were you firing at when the failure occured.
13. Do you have a scope with HV probes??
Nope.... Dave has a nice multi gap coil with like 1.5 inch copper
pipe. We simply tried my big spark gap in place of it and tried to adjust
I think the system was just not at all optimized for SRSGs.... Everything
seemed all wrong....
Dave is not into all the technical crap like us... His coil works
cool!!! But without knowing a bunch of data, it is hard to go changing
things for the better...
Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>
A couple weeks ago I tried substituting my static gap with a SRSG with
not so good results, safety gap fired as much as the main gap , and, took
out a cap. This was after much adjusting,...my coil just didnt like
it,....any ideas ??( My coil is powered by a single bushing 1.5kva pig
with a homemaded gapped inductive ballast)
>>I've had good results over the years too without any safety
>>My old research coil with the 12/30 NST, then later the TT-42
>>coil never ruined any transformers provided I used a SRSG.
>>Even the use of resonant sized cap values did not destroy
>>the NST's provided that an SRSG was used.
>>The static gaps were prone to destroying the NST's despite
>>shorter output spark lengths. I do use safety gaps however.
>>In SRSG use, they never fire however. They're there in case
>>something else fails.