Re: tuning in my latest big coil (a little long)

Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the input. I'm really thinking my issue
was probably more of a quenching problem than a re-
sonance one, though. It only happened as I started really
pumping the power to it (70 on the 0-100 scale of the
0-280 volts/56 amp twin 1256D variacs) and I had not
fully fine tuned it at this point yet. It seemed that as
I started to get the tuning more keen this problem
began to deminish. As I stated, the rotary gap components
got really HOT after just a minute or two of operation.
Bert Pool suggested to me off list to add a stationary
gap of three or four 2.5"x4" long copper pipe sections
in series with my main rotary gap and I may try this
avenue if this problem recurrs at the next time I try
firing it.

David Rieben